As students at Hempstead Middle School prepare for the upcoming STAAR tests, it is extremely important that parents know ahead of time what will and will not be allowed on testing days.
- STAAR tests will be administered as follows:
- Monday, May 13 – Mathmatics (6th & 7th Grade) & Mathmatics Retest (8th Grade)
- Tuesday, May 14 – Reading (6th & 7th Grade) & Reading Retest (8th Grade)
- Wednesday, May 15 – Science (8th Grade)
- Thursday, May 16 – Social Studies (8th Grade)
- Friday, May 17 – Make-up STAAR tests
- Student attendance on testing days is extremely important.
- The middle school campus will be closed to visitors the week of testing. No visitors, no late arrivals or early pick-ups will be allowed on testing days.
Please help our students be successful by encouraging them to get the proper rest, eat a good breakfast and do their best.
Here are a few tips to help prepare students for STAAR Week…
Test Taking Tips for Parents: Preparing a student for a testing session
- Make sure your child gets an ample, normal amount of sleep the night before the test.
- Mark testing days on your calendar to help remind you and your child when the testing will take place and plan your preparations.
- The student should eat a nutritious and filling breakfast. Avoid high sugar cereals which can make the student hyper and/or unfocused.
- Make sure the student is on time (if not early) on the day of testing.
- If your child is sick please contact the school immediately to inform them.
Working with Students who are anxious about testing
- Try to use positive language when talking about expectations of the test.
- Keep a positive attitude about testing in general around your child and emphasize their ability to demonstrate what they have learned.